Damian's Music

Damian's Music
Damian contemplating music

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Still Breathing...




Still Breathing…

I came across a box of photos of Damian Jr being resuscitated in the delivery room. When Damian Jr was born, he came out blue and was not breathing. The medical staff invested 30-45 seconds resuscitating him.

I was unaware that all this was happening. The doctors and nurses intentionally did not indicate that anything was wrong as to not put me into to shock. All I remember is one of the nurses crying and whispering in my ear with such joy and relief, “He made it…”. My initial reaction was, “Of course, he made it!”. I no idea what our son had just experienced.

My husband, on the other hand, witnessed every second. He kept pacing back and forth and taking pictures. He too was crying while holding it all together. And he finally shared that our son almost didn’t make it. BUT he was breathing.

About the Breathing Process

You have to breathe because all of the cells in your body require oxygen. Without oxygen, your body wouldn't move. It would be like a parked car with no battery. The car might have gas, but without a battery, you are not going anywhere! So you might have blood in your body, but without oxygen, forget it! You receive oxygen from breathing in air, and then the oxygen goes to your blood which is then circulated throughout your entire body.

As you journey through your day breathing, consider…
 Every minute we breathe, we take in 13 pints of air! That is we breathe about 6.15 liters of air every minute.
 We breathe about 9 to 20 times every minute. Through every breath, we breathe in about half a liter of air.
 We inhale and exhale air about 22,000 times per day and in the process, transport about 300 cubic feet of air (which is about 8.5 cubic meters of air)!
 Human breathing mechanism is called tidal breathing, as air comes out the same way it goes in.
 We exhale about half a liter of water vapor in a whole day.
 Breathing is initiated by the diaphragm, which is a stretchable muscle under the lungs. When it contracts, the volume of the chest cavity rises and the air pressure drops. That is what enables the high pressure air outside, to enter the lungs and makes them expand like balloons.
 When the diaphragm expands, lungs are emptied of air and we exhale it outside.
 When air passes through the nose and into the nasal passage called the windpipe, it gets filtered, moistened and heated.

Today, I am so grateful that I have these pictures to remind me that miracles still happen every day.

So be encouraged today because you are STILL BREATHING. Hope you enjoy one of Damian Jr’s favorite songs – In the Sanctuary by J. Moss (based on Psalm 150).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkXESb0b9oQ

In The Sanctuary

Sittin here think 'bout times
I thought I wasn't gon' make it
Times I should've been dead
And been gone But God felt different
But I'm still all because of His goodness
I'm a living witness miracles still fall from heaven

He moves when we don't expect Him to
He knows the doors that we face
And He speaks right before we stop believin
He shows His love through his grace

I'll praise Him in the sanctuary
I'll praise Him with the tremble and dance
I'll praise Him with the trumpet and symbol
Since I'm breathin, I'm gon praise Him again

Sittin here think 'bout times
I thought I wasen't gon' make it
Times I should've been dead
And been gone But God felt different
But I'm still all because of His goodness
I'm a living witness miracles still fall from heaven

He moves when we don't expect Him to
He knows the doors that we face
And He speaks right before we stop believin
He shows His love through his grace

I'll praise Him in the sanctuary
I'll praise Him with the tremble and dance
I'll praise Him with the trumpet and symbol
Since I'm breathin, I'm gon praise Him again

I'll praise Him in the sanctuary
I'll praise Him with the tremble and dance
I'll praise Him with the trumpet and symbol
Since I'm breathin, I'm gon praise Him again

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Go on and get yours
Now let's dance!

J Moss



1 comment:

  1. Thank GOD that we are breathing and that He gave ability to breathe to Damian Jr... Zarat, thanks for a gentle reminder that even our very breath is a GIFT from God.

    ReplyDelete