Damian's Music

Damian's Music
Damian contemplating music

Friday, October 19, 2012

UPHILL JOURNEY


UPHILL JOURNEY

I learned about the interesting dynamics of going UPHILL when we took Damian Jr. on a mile-high climb up the beautiful Kennesaw Mountain. This adventure was as a part of our Family Reunion activities in September. A few of us took the paved route while others went up the rugged road.

I don’t know if I was really aware of what I was getting myself into trying to go continuously up the hill while pushing a 50lb wheelchair with a little guy weighing over 40lb. So, this brought some complexity to the challenge. It was hard enough for myself but even harder because of the weight of someone else.

But I learned that it wasn’t about me in that moment. Of course, I had to ensure that I was ok going up the hill, but I also had to accept the responsibility of the care and safety for our son. And since we were in a small group of family, we each took a turn pushing Damian Jr UPHILL. It was amazing to see the community and courage we built together on that mountain.

So I looked up the word – UPHILL.

As an adjective it means…
-going or tending upward on or as if on a hill
-at a high place or point
-laboriously fatiguing or difficult

As a noun it means…
-a rising terrain; ascent.

Some of the synonyms are…
-arduous, hard, strenuous, taxing, grueling.

Sometimes in life, it takes a lot to get oneself up a strenuous, laboriously fatiguing, uphill journey. But there is something that clicks in you when you are responsible for getting someone else UPHILL. Know that others are counting on us to care enough to help them UPHILL. We each will be a better, stronger, more caring person in the process. 

Family Members on Kennesaw Mt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment